Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Priorities

It seems that most of my life, I've struggled with competing priorities.  There never seems to be enough time in the day for all that I want, or have to do.  Trying to address those priorities and feel good about progress, or satisfaction in finishing things has been a lifelong struggle.

So I question - am I expecting too much? (hard to believe)  Do I want too much? (um, hope not)  Are my expectations unrealistic? (yes on some days) Will I ever be satisfied (I guess not, because then I will stop trying new things).

Embracing my new priority of taking care of me - physically and spiritually has caused me to reevaluate everything else.  But I've come to realize that I am happy when I am with my children and their significant others (very, very happy), I am thrilled and satisfied when I am with my grandchildren (can you say jumping up and down happy!) and totally at peace when I spend time with my friends.   My time with Phil is very special too, as he has brought another kind of peace and love to my life that has been lacking in my other partner relationships.  It's comfortable and peaceful, and happy too.  An insight I gained today as I was walking the dogs (my new activity each day) was that all of these interactions are my highest priority, because they bring me immense peace, love and happiness.

So first discovery - taking care of me includes surrounding myself with the people who make me happy and satisfied.  Step one - DONE.

Onto pondering the rest - how to fit my "other priorities" in my life and increase my happiness exponentially.

Stay tuned - great things happening all around me!

No comments:

Post a Comment