Wednesday, October 19, 2011

It's Not About the Toothpaste

Many years ago, when I was much younger, with no gray hair and biological rather than bionic knees, I remember an Oprah show, where she'd brought in a marriage counselor to work with a couple who were at the end of their road together (or so they thought).  


I don't actually remember what miracle Oprah's guests experienced with her (as I am sure they did, since Oprah is the biggest miracle  worker), but one conversation has stayed with me since viewing that show.  As they were arguing over petty things, I remember Oprah interrupting them to say, "you know, it's not about the toothpaste.......just because you are arguing that he leaves the cap off and he doesn't like that you don't squeeze from the bottom, doesn't mean this is about the toothpaste."


Oprah's point was, we tend to focus on the little things that we think we can control, and in the process walk right by, or ignore the things that are the true problem.  And that is a lesson we can all keep with us.  Why spend our precious time  on earth focusing on the little stuff?  Unless that is, the little stuff I focus on will be the smell of lavender in my drawers, the smell of pumpkin candles in the autumn, the wonderful way that my dogs greet me every morning, like I am the best thing since a bacon flavored chewy treat.  And not to mention the over the top greeting I get from Makenna Claire and Rylan every time I see them (all that is missing there is the paparazzi following me around, as they convince me I am some kind of rock star) .  Or listening to some soft jazz or new age music............or, well, I digress.


Little things that are positive are good to embrace and savor.  Little things that take our focus away from important things, on the other hand, are not worth our time.  I've found through my new journey to my creative future that when I look at the last few years, I've let some little things get in the way of my art, my sewing, my beading.......and just plain me.  As I create new possibilities for my future, I will be more conscious and will not be distracted by the noise that gets in the way of my real mission in life (at least this stage of it).


Wow, can you feel the energy?  I can!  Stay tuned, great things are happening all around me.



No comments:

Post a Comment